The Power of Music

Kevin - Briarcliff Manor, New York

Those quiet, yet inspiring, melodies seeping through the car stereo, those nearly deafening, yet soothing, sounds traveling through earphones, and those foreign, yet melodious, tunes heard daily have more of an effect on me than I ever imagined. Unlike many, I feel the power that songs hold, causing music to mean more to me than just a source of entertainment. Whether I come home from a day of joy or sadness, of pain or pleasure, the music always finds a way to lift me off the ground, regardless of if I am fallen or standing strong, and take me to a world all my own. I believe that music has the power to connect us all over the world, uniting us, while also containing the power to make us different, helping us to escape into our own, unique worlds.

Music has mystical attributes in that it allows all people, regardless of the language spoken, to become one with the beat, to be controlled by the music. Although the music may be different, people all over the world feel the same when they are one with the beat. Every country, every tribe, and every society uses music. It contains the power to withhold tradition and to pass down stories from generation to generation. Although we view music more as a form of entertainment nowadays, many centuries ago it was the cornerstone of many societies, uniting the country and the visitors through the traditional dance of the country. I believe that music should remain strong, and should remain individual, holding within, the traditions and stories of cultures all around the world. Music has molded the way that society has grown and will continue to change it for the rest of time. Although we may all dance to the same beat, every person will have his or her own dance, different from everyone else’s.

I cannot remember the last time I went one day without music. For me, plugging in my stereo and playing my I-pod is my own escape from the world, causing all the worries and responsibilities that were added to my life to diminish until there is nothing left. I believe that listening to just a couple of your favorite songs can make a person truly happy. The moment I hear those obnoxiously loud middle school students on the bus, I reach into my pocket, turn on my I-pod to full blast, close my eyes, and instantaneously, I have left the bus that makes me cringe every time I see it, and I cross into a place all my own where there are no middle school students who refuse to use deodorant.

Everybody uses music differently. I believe that, for me, it’s an escape; an escape from school, troubles, stress, and, yes, the piercing noises made by the middle school students, however, it also unites us, connecting us all who feel the same, with music as the strong bond that can never be broken.