rob - Hudson, Massachusetts

Imagine that you are living tough. No job, no house, no family to rely on, and never finished High school. Your live is tough and you realize if you don’t turn around quick or you could end up in jail, or worse. This was life for my brother from age 16 to 20, but he turned it around and is now 23 years old and back with the family and the road ahead is looking brighter. This is inspiration to me and that is why I believe that never giving up and trying hard will get you to where you want to be. This is his story.

My Brother made bad decisions in high school. But the story goes back even further then that. My farther his stepfather was the person that kept him in line. He made sure he was doing his school work and staying out of trouble. I remember won time my brother was in 5th or 6th grade I was 4 or 5 at the time. And I realized that it was bed time and Dad left for my brother’s school right after we had dinner. I didn’t have a clue what was going on but for some reason I knew that Mom did, but she wouldn’t tell me. I didn’t learn what happened that night until I was about 10. It turns out that my brother hadn’t done any home work in any of his classes. So he had to sit there that night and make it all up right there. It took him three and a half hours to make up all the work he didn’t do.

When I was six my parents divorced. This was hard on me but I think that it hurt my brother a lot more, because he lost the only person that kept him doing all his school work and keeping out of trouble. This is where all the bad started. First it was not doing homework, then hanging out with the wrong crowd, then not doing class work, then skipping school, and smoking cigarettes. Eventually at about 16 he dropped out of school and ran away. He stayed at a friend’s house and started to use pot. He never got his drivers license, but when he was 18 he was arrested for DUI. He face charges of DUI and driving without a license. When he got out he was too ashamed to go back to his family. He realized that if he was going to do anything with his life he needed to finish high school and maybe got to collage. After high school he started working at CJ’s Pizza here in Hudson on Washington St. Not knowing that Mom moved from here house in Fitchburg to Rice St. in Marlboro. He didn’t know that he was working only a few miles from her house. He went back to the old house and the new owners couldn’t tell hem where Mom lived. It was only by shear luck that Dad ordered Pizza one day at CJ’s and my brother recognized him. He asked for two things Moms telephone number and not to tell her the Dad saw my brother.

It was two years ago a few weeks before Easter and my brother called Mom and wanted to know if we had any plans for Easter. We did but Mom told him we didn’t and canceled the other plans. We had my brother over for dinner and we caught up. I couldn’t believe it was him after five years. I knew that she wanted to see him and she knew that he had gotten better. He lived with his friends in Gardner for two years, working odd jobs. Right now he lives at moms house in the guest bedroom. He drives a taxi and takes collage classes at night. He is studying criminal psychology. Basically he has turned his whole life around.

That was the story of my brothers life so far and that is inspiration for me. To go from nothing and get on the road to something great is truly amazing. This is why I believe that never giving up and trying hard will get you to where you want to be.