The Key to the Human Responsibility: Faith

Erica - West Simsbury, Connecticut

I believe in the power of faith. No, I am not about to preach about how God is real and only repentance can save our souls; these are all arguments I cannot win. No one can prove or disprove the existence of a God, but why not believe. Now I have never been the most popular girl. I have never had a boyfriend. I have never been to a party. In fact I can count the number of times I went out with my friends this past year on one hand. Basically, I never felt that I belonged to a group. When I was confirmed into the Catholic Church I felt a deep sense of community. For the first time in my life I realized that I can now go almost anywhere in the world, walk into a church and feel at home.

Not only does Catholicism offer community, but it also provides a basis of beliefs that leave the world a better place. Catholics believe in prayer, not to interrupt our daily lives, but to enhance them. A common Catholic saying is “WWJD” or “What Would Jesus Do”. A member of the Catholic Church, striving for a place in the ultimate paradise, may consciously, or subconsciously, ask themselves this question many times a day. Jesus was supposedly the only sin free man. In his time he preached lessons of unity, acceptance, and faith. Whether or not Jesus was ever a man of flesh and blood walking this Earth is again and argument I cannot win, but where is the fault in striving to become like this perfect figure? Man may walk their time on this Earth persistently denying another’s faith and claiming that he believes in nothing. If he believes in nothing, what morals bind him to his human responsibility to help his brothers? When one enters the world they immediately owe a debt to at least two people, their mother and their father. Then as they grow many more people will effect change in their life and regardless if it is negative or positive, they owe them a debt as well because all events in one’s life fundamentally change who they are in some way. To pay off this debt to humanity, as all of humanity is interconnected, one must strive to leave the world a better place than when he entered it. Faith provides a reward for those who follow a certain code of morals and completes certain deeds. This provides one who believes with an incentive to do good natured deeds he may not have done without the fear of eternal damnation.

Some may argue that Faith is the road block obstructing the human potential. They argue that those who waste time on faith are simply products of an exclusive and close-minded cult. Some claim that events like 9/11 would not have happened had there been no religion. I must counter this argument with a question. Without Faith would Rome have been built? Would the great Mayan temples exist? Would cities like Jerusalem and Damascus ever have been built? Since the time of the cavemen, religion, and fear of a God or God-like figure, has been the driving force in some of mankind’s greatest achievements.

I must concede that some parts of religions have been warped by men trying to interpret the basic human laws of righteousness to achieve their own needs. In order to understand the undeniable goodness of any faith, one must dive into the original documents that teach how to leave the world a better place through acceptance. Faith is an unstoppable power that can lead the human soul to accomplish great things fulfill the human responsibility.