I Believe in Reading Until Your Eyes Fall Out

Angela - Schofield, Wisconsin

I love to read. A lot. Like, if reading wasn’t good for me my parents would be concerned. Bookworm, nerd, smarty-pants – I’ve been called it all. And do you know what? I’m darn proud of it too. I believe in reading until your eyes fall out.

I believe in feeling good — curling up on your favorite chair, cup in one hand, and book in the other. Snuggled under the covers, I have traveled to London, India, Texas, Washington, and Africa. I have fought in the Civil War and sailed upon the Titanic. I have wondered the streets of Venice and Florence, and I have been in World War II as both a Nazi and a Jew. When I am reading it is like the world stops. All my problems and all my worries are gone; my only reality is the one I hold in my hand.

I believe in being smart. A teacher once told me that he knew which kids read in his class and which ones didn’t just by grading their first writing assignments. It’s sort of like the monkey see, monkey do complex. If you read good writing, then you will start to write good reading. (Try saying that 5 times fast).

I believe in invisible friends. Whenever I am sad or lonely I look to Harry, Ron, and Hermione of Harry Potter to provide me with an afternoon of daydreams. When I feel happy I picture myself twirling with Pippa, Ann, Felicity, and Gemma in the mystical garden where anything is possible in A Great and Terrible Beauty. And then, during those times at the dead of night when my pillow is wet from a midnight cry, I imagine my prince charming coming to comfort me. Edward from Twilight is behind me, wrapping his pale, strong arms around my shoulders, his cool chest pressed against my back. It is during those times I fall asleep contented. It doesn’t matter where I go or what I do; my imaginary friends are there to keep me company. I don’t know what I would do without them.

I believe in improving yourself. When I read, I become the characters I am reading about. Boy, girl, young, old, dog, cat – I have been it all. All their problems, all their worries, all their hopes, dreams, and aspirations become mine as well as their mistakes and downfalls and the lessons they learned along the way. I once read a book about a girl who fell in love with her art projects partner – who just so happened to be female. The two hit it off right away and everything seemed rainbows and lollipops, until she decided to tell her parents and got kicked out of the house because of it. This story taught me that everyone (even those most close to you) won’t always agree with everything, even things that you feel strongly about, and that it is ok to keep fighting for it anyway. This lesson alone came from reading that book. Thankfully, I didn’t have to lose my parents to realize the lesson learnt that day by Kate and Lissa of Kissing Kate. I think that that is why I love to read so much – this learning business I mean. See, I once heard a saying that says we need to learn from the mistakes of others because there isn’t enough time in one life to make them all. That being said, I am now off to read some more. What I’ll find, who I’ll meet, where I go, I’ll never know for certain, but I do know it will be spectacular.