Believe?

Jonathon - West Friendship, Maryland

The people over at Webster’s define a belief as “confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof”. I define belief as the inspiration for human’s greatest desires. I know that a belief is not enough.

I grew up hearing my dad say, over and over, “You can do anything if you put your mind to it.” However, I didn’t hear him say, “If you believe, whatever you want will come to you.” From him, I learned that believing in something won’t cut it. It’s a start, but it is the hard work that makes beliefs realities. Luckily, I have lived a fortunate life, and have had a lot of things handed to me by my parents. They have put in countless hours to give me all the things I have today.

During the auditions on American Idol this year, one of the eager contestants had a necklace on with half of a heart hanging off of it. The other half, he said, was for his one true love. He had never kissed a girl, and was waiting for his wedding day to do so. He believed strongly that he would find his one true love, but he never mentioned himself searching for her. I think it is possible to have the “one for you”; however, I know letting life pass by, waiting, is not an efficient way of finding them.

Today, the United States has become ridden with people who want something for nothing. The very work ethic that our founding fathers put forth to create a great nation is no longer reflected in its citizens. These people believe that the government is there to help them, instead of its original intent: to provide freedom and safety. They usually get the benefits they believe they should get, without the work being put in. Although they may not be doing the work, someone along the line must do more work to make- up for them. Allowing this to happen has set up this false reality for some, where they do not see the consequences of their actions. They remain preoccupied with their beliefs and do not take them a step further to work to achieve their goal, bearing significant consequences for others.

When others say “I believe in you” I have to wonder the actual impact this phrase has on the receiving individual. I know believing in someone has no effect on what they do or how they do it, yet some act as if that phrase has a greater force, and that phrase guides them towards their goal. Beliefs are good motivators, and can inspire people to do great things; however, people can be caught waiting for beliefs to become reality, to find that proof that is missing. They do not understand that they need to force the issue to have positive outcome.

I feel it is important to have beliefs in your life, but it is of upmost importance to follow through with beliefs. It is easy to sit around all day believing that some day life will turn out the way it is supposed to be, but nothing will get done. Having a strong belief system backed with hard-work and dedications can turn beliefs, hopes, and dreams, into reality. This I believe.