The Best Medicine

Ellie - Glenwood, Maryland

The Best Medicine

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. All my life, I have been told what to believe. Now, this is what I believe. I believe that nobody is perfect. I believe that everyone has problems – it’s their choice whether to share them or not. My philosophy is that all problems can be solved by one simple word: music. No therapist, best friend, or parent can help the same way. Any emotion felt, perilous endeavor confronted, or journey endured, there will always be a song that centralizes all the complex feelings into one three minute ballad. A song does not charge thirty bucks an hour. A song does not care how you respond. A song does not get angry if you are rude. Whether you are locked up in your room screaming your heart out to it, using it for advice, or merely lightening up your spirits, music is the best prescription; musicians are the doctors.

Recently, I lost someone that I was very close to. I’m not going to go into the details, because they aren’t important. What is important is the coping period thereafter. I believe that with God, anything is possible. I believe that all of God’s doings have a purpose. But at a time like this when my Father’s purpose feels so terribly mistaken, He is simply the culprit. During my time of mourning, I lost touch with my faith. Why praise Him when He is the reason I am in this position? I tried everything. Friends and family had sympathy, but I needed empathy. It was then that I found my surrogate savior – Tyson Ritter. Tyson Ritter is the lead singer for the alternative band, All-American Rejects. Their hit song “It Ends Tonight” was set to repeat on my iTunes for a solid two weeks. It was as if I somehow acquired phenomenal musical abilities and wrote four minutes of every emotion going on inside of me. Chocolate may be the cure for a broken heart, but music is the cure for an abandoned heart.

Apparently, a hero is a man of great strength and courage favored by the gods and in part or descended from them, often regarded as a half-god and worshiped after his death. No offense to Tyson Ritter, but he doesn’t quite fit the part. Nevertheless, he is my hero. To me, a hero is not the one who saves you by their buff build and godly attributes, but the one who saves you from yourself. I’d like to make a toast to all of the unsung heroes of music.