Equal Opportunities

cesar - arlington, Virginia
Themes: equality

I believe everyone should have the same opportunities in life. Everyone should have the same education whether you come from the richest or poorest parents. I feel that college should be made affordable to all people. Opportunities that involve money often hold poorer people back from achieving their dreams. I feel that in this society, the rich is getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

The economy isn’t exactly the same throughout the country. In wealthy cities, people get a higher wage than in other parts of the country. Two people could be doing the same job, but one could get paid a little better due to the economy in that area. The wealth of this country should be spread throughout the whole country so everyone can have the same opportunities.

There is still prejudice against women. A recent statistic shows that men still get paid a little higher than women. I don’t believe that’s right. Like the Gatorade commercial “I can do anything you can do better,” so why are women still being paid less than men. Women can do any job just as well as any man can. Any form of discrimination should never be tolerated. This type of discrimination also doesn’t allow for everyone to have equal opportunities.

I work at a grocery store. We have this company that works alongside us named Jani King. They are basically the janitors for our store. They work long hours, some work 7 days a week for 6-6.50 an hour. They are really relied on by the manager of my job. These people are new people to the country and don’t have the same opportunities as I do. They do harder physical labor than most of the managers and get a very low pay. The managers there mostly just give out orders instead of working themselves.

My mother always tells me to value everything I have. She tells me to take advantage of the opportunities that I have. She always reminds of how lucky I am to have a chance of getting a good education. My mother would not be working two jobs, killing herself just to take care of me and my sister.

Now that I’m older and about to graduate, I do value the opportunities I have. Seeing these people work like slaves makes me wake up to the realities of ‘the real world.’ When I head off to college, I know I’m not going to slack off as much as I did during my senior year of high school. I hope to one day have a real stead job and be able to spoil my mother. I want my both parents to never have to work again.