nicholas - 01749, Massachusetts

Have you ever taken something for granted and then lost that something, only to realize what you lost meant a great deal to your life? I believe that you don’t know what you have until it is gone. These experiences brought to my attention that every thing should be enjoyed while it is present in your life. In conclusion simple things in life weather it’s a life style or an ugly old cat, every moment should be appreciated and remembered.

A lot of families are separated by divorce. My family is one of them. My parents divorced when I was eight. My whole life I was use to having them together and always going on vacation together and eating dinner as a family but it all ended when we moved to an apartment and my dad moved to Lancaster. It was hard at first but after a few months it got easier. The divorce was tough on my sister and me. I never realized how valuable and comforting time with your mother and father together was until after the divorce.

Another personal story I have to further prove my argument is the story of the late great Bumbles the cat. All my life, bumbles my grand parents’ cat has been around. All this cat wanted was to be loved. He was seventeen when he died so when I was old enough to be conscious of the ideal pet I ignored him most of the time. What I mean by the ideal pet is; nice fur, clean, fit, and was not sickly. Bumbles was the opposite. He had clumped fur, he was white, so he was always dirty looking, very skinny, and had cancer. He was very old so all of this was to be expected. I was about thirteen and he was about sixteen, I was sitting on the couch watching TV and he was doing his normal cry for attention. That cry for attention consisted of him walking on your chest and belly until you decided that the only way to make him stop interrupting you was to pet his clumped and mated fur. So I thought this cat is pretty old and it’s most likely the most loving cat in the world so if I don’t love him now and I do decide to in the near future I might not be able to because it is very possible that he wont be around. So from that day on I made a point of petting him every chance I got so that way he would spend his last days knowing he was loved by at least one person. A year later he did pass away and I thought what if I didn’t make the decision to love this raggity old cat I would be very depressed when he kicked the bucket. But when he did cross the great divide I felt that I knew that he was happy. In conclusion I realized what I had, and when it was gone it wasn’t that bad because I new what I had when I had him.