In The Hallway

Samantha - Hudson, Massachusetts

How would you like to be treated living with one leg? Since my sister was nine, she has had to deal with people pointing and laughing at her prosthetic leg. She had to get her leg amputated because of a rare disease she has called Neurofibromatosis. I have witnessed plenty of discrimination through my life.

One story that has happened recently is during lunch period. There are a few kids in our school who are not fully there mentally, who dance out in the court yard. I have seen plenty of kids point, stare and laugh at their actions. To me, it isn’t funny it all. They are a person too, and they are just enjoying themselves and thinking nothing of it. Most of the time I want to get up and say something to all the people, but that would just cause more trouble.

Back when Shannon was in high school, she had to get her stump cut shorter due to excessive tumors. The day she went back to school, she was on crutches because the stitches did not heal yet, which prevented her from wearing her prosthetic leg. Some girl thought she would be funny, and knocked my sister’s books from her arms. Shannon kneeled down, to get her books. When she got up, and everyone was staring, laughing, and just walking by. One kind person told my sister her stitches ripped open, and was bleeding excessively in the hallway. She was rushed to the hospital, with only help from that one girl. They discovered she lost nearly a liter of blood in the hallway.

My brother, Casey, is only eight. He isn’t really good at keeping his comments to himself. In Wal-Mart, there is an employee is mentally challenged, and it caused some facial deformities. When we go there and the person is working, he would point, laugh and make a rude comment. The way he thinks, he doesn’t believe what he is saying is wrong, he thinks it is just true.

These experiences showed me that not all people are kind people. I believe that everyone is equal is someway, and should not be discriminated against for being different. Just because someone looks, sounds, acts or learns differently from yourself, does not give you an open window of opportunity to discriminate against them for those things. Everyone in some point of their life should put themselves in the shoes of the person they are victimizing. But since some people only care for themselves, they do not notice how they hurt others. If everyone took the time to understand the damage they are doing to not only people, but society in general, the amount of discrimination would reduce drastically.