Some Things Never Change

Kathleen - Hudson, Massachusetts

It seems so typical: sitting at lunch there are the jocks, who always talk about sports. There are the preps; popped collars and Hollister mini skirts define them, along with their conversations about people’s clothes, and the wicked cute shoes they just bought. There are the party animals, who come to school hung over, reciting what they remember from the previous night. When they can’t remember anything, though, they’re talking about who’s house would be open for the coming weekend. Now flash forward twenty years. You quietly observe your husband watching the pre-game show, or your wife watching “what not to wear”, or even your teenage daughter watching “the real world.” You think about this for a while, and then you get thrown back in time. All the lunch tables, all the conversations, it seems the same. Then you realize what I have come to believe: High school never ends.

It is human nature, I have to admit, though. When you walk down the street, the first thing you do it put people in to a category. Subconsciously, maybe, but still, it happens. Everyone has done it, and everyone has been a victim of it.

In my personal experience, I have been thrown in just about all the categories known to man. I am a jock, because I love football. I am a prep, because I pop my collar. I am rich, because I ride horses. I am popular, because I know a lot of people. Does that make me those things, though? Along with the titles you come to “own” over the course of your high school career, stereotypes follow close behind. The sad truth, though, is that it isn’t only high school kids. The rest of the world does exactly the same thing. Think about it. You’re a professional athlete, you love the game more than your family. You’re a movie star, you’re a slut. You’re a police officer, you abuse your privileges. The same labels that are given in high school are thrown in to everyday life, no matter who old you are.

When you take the time to realize this crisis that all American’s face, it starts to show up more and more. Almost every Oprah, Tyra Banks, and Montel, every single reality TV show, talk show, or movie you can think of, there is some form of categorization. Whether it’s from the viewers, the hosts, or the other characters on the show, the scene is always typical of a high school cafeteria. The jocks still talk about sports, the preps still have the reputation of thinking that they’re better than the person standing next to them; everything is all the same. So, in the end, don’t think that four years is all you’re enduring. I guess some things never change.