Music Heals

Amanda - Hudson, Massachusetts

What I believe

Music, to me, is like a mood ring. Whatever you listen to reflects your personality and your emotion at that point in time. Your mood can help a variety of things such as giving you ideas as well as help you relate to what the artist is feeling in a specific song. You may also empathize with the songwriters, knowing exactly what they are undergoing and feel the same way. Most important, what I believe is that music can help heal a person no matter what state of health they may be in.

It could be emotional or physical pain a person is experiencing but either way, music can help. Sure, it will not completely heal them but it will be a guideline. Like somewhere in their darkness there is a light they cannot find without the music. With music, it can help direct them down the path they want to go to find what they have been looking for.

You could be asking yourself, “In what possible way could music heal?” My father had a stroke back 2005 which left his right side paralyzed and speech impaired. Each day we would visit him, he would struggle to talk. Sometimes we weren’t sure he was exactly with us or not. It was hard to know where his mind was because of no way of communication. Most of the time when he would try to talk it would come out as incomprehensible and babble. Well, each day when my grandmother and I got ready to leave we would leave some CD’s he used to like to listen to along with a radio to play them on. He would always manage to get the CD’s into the player and listen to them.

One day, my grandmother and I were getting ready to leave. This was around a month after the stroke. She was putting some CD’s on the bedside table as she usually would and we were saying our good-byes for the day. As we turned to go out the door he called out to us, “Love you.” This made us stop in our tracks. Our first thoughts were, “What?” and “Did he just say something?” My reaction was going up to hug him and telling him that everything would be okay. I joked and told him he would soon be non-stop talking and we would have to tell him to shut up. This made him smile.

We knew that when he was alone he would listen to the music because he would always hand the CD’s back to us. We would ask him if he listened and liked them and he’d nod. Sometimes he would listen to them while we were there. The nurses always gave us updates on what he did when we were not around. When we had asked them a month before if he would talk again they did not think he would be able to for a long time. With the constant speech he had heard without us there resulted in him being able to talk as sooner than expected, being exposed to it for so long and so often. He continuously was speaking new words each day which gave us more hope for his condition.

If a year and a half later he hadn’t passed away he would most likely be able to talk in complete sentences with words anyone could understand. He had been well on his way to being able to talk again thanks to the help of people and more importantly of music. My father was as stubborn as a mule and if he was healed by music then anyone else in the world could be. If people give themselves a chance instead of turning their head to the idea then they may get to experience the healing of music for them. This is why I believe music can heal.