Friendship

Rahaf - arlington, Virginia

I believe in friendship. Friendship to me is a necessity that I believe everyone needs. I believe that the people who you choose to be your friends, really make a great impact on you life, and help shape who you are as a person. Friendship to me, is one of the most important and cherish- able things a person can have, and give. Friends are the people who you choose to spend your time with, who you choose to trust, and also who learn to love like your own family.

Luckily for me, I have very wonderful friends who I consider to be family. Ironically enough, one of my very best friends, who means very much to me is my cousin Annie. My friendship with her really symbolizes the real, true meaning of friendship. She’s always there for me, as I am for her. She really has helped me become a better person. Annie is about a little over a year younger than me, and I honestly look up to her in so many ways. She’s a very smart, beautiful girl, and always tries to make the best of the worst situations. Unfortunately, there are some people in this world who don’t really know the meaning of being a true friend, and will lie, and hurt you, and encourage you to do bad things, but not Annie. She’s always been the type of friend that no matter what happens, I’ll know that I can trust her with my problems. And if I’m up to something bad, she’ll talk me out of it, and I’ll listen, because her opinion really matters to me.

An experience I had with her that really impacted my life was when I used to hang out with the wrong social crowd you could say, and I’d make some bad choices. I went to visit her over winter break and she told me that it really hurt her when I made bad choices because she knew that I could be great. She knew that I didn’t have to be making these bad choices. At first, I kind of brushed it off and didn’t really think much about it, but one day jokingly I said to her; “If you eat a whole roll of sushi, I’ll stop”, and let me tell you, she hates sushi, she can’t stand the smell of it or anything, and without even thinking about it, she responded “Yes.” That was the day where it hit me, she cares that much about me that she would do something she hates, just to better my life. After that day, I stopped making these bad choices and honestly, I’ve been doing a lot better. And that’s why I believe in having friendship, because just one friend, can change your whole life, and my life changing friend is Annie.