Unsloved Murders

Ashley - Waterbury, Vermont
Themes: injustice

Unsolved Murders

I believe in improving our justice system. We need to reduce the number of unsolved cases. Lately I have seen so many cases of young women or men being killed with no one to blame. My question to this is why? Why would the justice system fail? Why are so many young people’s killers not found? I believe that our justice system needs to find the killers and not give up on the cases.

I recently watched a movie on TV called The Green River Killer, it was based on true events. This movie is how I came to believe in improving our justice system. The movie was about women being killed and thrown in the river. This case took the police over 20 years to find out who the killer was. This man got away with killing 48 women before the police could find who the killer was. What does this say about our justice system?

Look at the case of the Middlebury college student who went missing. He was found about 4 months after he went missing. The police had been looking for him and said they couldn’t find him. After two days they suspended the ground search, saying that there was too much snow and the search would be carried on after the snow melted. After the snow did melt the efforts for finding this young man was not carried out to the best of the searchers abilities.

We have the technology we have the tools to find the killers so what wrong why are these cases not solved or solved too late. Our justice system needs to stop closing cases and try to find the killers and not stop until they do.

Just in Florida alone there are 104 unsolved cases. Vermont has many more unsolved cases than most people would believe. An e-mail was being sent around about a woman coming out of a Costco’s in Burlington loading her car when a man sitting in a car jumped out and grabbed her, she screamed and he left but if this woman had been in an ally or empty parking lot she would have been in a serious situation. Where would that police officer who was supposed to be watching over everything be, probably looking for people going 10 miles over the speed limit.

Our justice system really needs some help, especially in Vermont, just because Vermont doesn’t have as much crime as the big cities doesn’t mean the cops don’t need to be properly trained. We really need to improve the justice system to save more lives and to catch more killers.

I believe in improving our justice system to have less unsolved murder cases.