Perserverance in sports

Lindsay - Waterbury Center, Vermont

This I believe

I believe strongly in perseverance. I persevered and became a field hockey goalie which comes with great power and control, yet also comes with great responsibility. At first, the thought of getting hit with hard field hockey balls sounds frightening but I soon came to realize that it’s not as frightening as I thought. When it comes down to game time, its nerve racking knowing that the fate of the game rests in your hands. Going from a field player to a goalie changed my whole perspective of the game.

I started playing field hockey in seventh grade; I never thought that I would end up as a goalie. My freshman year of high school, there was no one to play goalie, so I said that I would give it a try. The first time I put on all of my gear, I had no idea what I was doing. I felt bad after every game because I was letting so many goals pass me. It wasn’t that I was frightened about getting hurt; I was just getting to preoccupied with what I should have been doing rather than what I was doing wrong. By the end of the season, I only had fifty-two saves, but I was proud of my accomplishments.

Over the summer I went to a five day camp for help on my game. I ended up learning so much more and felt like I was playing for the first time. What I had learned made me step up my game one hundred percent. Taking in all the moves and skills I had learned, I was able to do so much more than I could prior to going to the camp. It was fun going from not knowing anything to being able to almost do a full split in my goalie gear.

Being a goalie is now in my blood. My uncle has always been a goalie in hockey, he still plays hockey today. He has played with many professionals, and also has almost played in the Olympics! He got there by perseverance and believing he could make it. I have also started being a goalie in lacrosse. Its fun trying new things and transferring new skills into a different surrounding. I plan to continue playing lacrosse in my future.

Now showing great improvement, I love what I do and I want to continue playing throughout college. Learning how to play field hockey and learning to not be afraid of the ball has been really great for me. It has made me quicker, smarter, and a lot healthier. Perseverance is key in life, especially if someone like me wants to try something new.

I believe in perseverance and never giving up.