Why don’t bikes or horses apply?

Ben - waitsfield, Vermont
Themes: golden rule

By Ben Smith

In the state of Vermont, to be 100% legal operator of a motor vehicle you have to obtain these following items. A driver’s license, insurance, an inspected and safe vehicle, and a registration of that vehicle. I believe that there should not be double standards for vehicles on the road and horses and bike on the road. I wonder why bikes and horses don’t apply to the rules.

The license part of the requirements is so that not just anybody can get in a car and speed down the road. I know that bikes and horses don’t exceed 10 mph anyway but what if you had a first time rider or a very inexperienced person out on the road, chances are they would cause an accident by thier wobble or lack of control of the animal. I believe there should be some sort of testing of the knowledge and experience of anybody using public roads.

The second part of the requirements is insurance. This is a VERY expensive part of the deal. I know when the time comes it is one of the best things you can have. But what if that horse that is easily spooked causes a perfectly good driver to go off the road and be car less for a week or more. The cause of the accident should be held responsible, and if they have no insurance then that isn’t going to happen. I believe that anyone who is using public roads should be required to carry the bare minimum of the liability car insurance.

The next requirement you need is an inspected vehicle. Yes I know the $30 a year is a pain in the butt, but it keeps us all safe. But what keeps us safe from a 30-year old bike with loose nuts and bolts and no brakes. I talking about the bike you have to slide your feet on the pavement to stop. This could easily cause an accident. I believe you should have an inspection of any bike on the road. They make that happen with motorcycles, why not just cycles?

The last part is registration. Vehicles have to be registered every year and have to pay tax on them to keep the roads safe and nice. The bikes and horses use the roads, and the horses tear them up and crap on them WAY more than a car. I believe that anybody using public roads should have to pay tax on the machine every year to keep the roads nice for everyone.

All in all, I just believe in keeping things fair. If people operating vehicles should have to hold a valid license, pay thousands in insurance, inspect and register their vehicles than so should everyone on the road. Whether it be a bike or a horse, if you want equal rights on the road than you should have to pay like everyone else. This I believe.