I Believe In Sportsmanship and Equality

Carl - Waterbury Center, Vermont

I Believe in Sports!!!

I just watched a movie called “The Bad News Bears”. I got a very inspiring message out of that movie. The message was that everyone should be able to play sports no matter what they are capable of, their level of play or if they have a disability. They all contribute to the team equally, whether they are mentally handicapped or if they are very talented ball players.

There was this one part of the movie when a handicapped boy said “you expect me to catch a baseball? I’m a fricken paraplegic, I can’t catch a baseball.” But by the end of the movie he caught the inning ending out. I know someone who can relate to this person because I can remember when I was on a baseball team and we had a person who was in a wheelchair. In the beginning of the season he didn’t believe in himself and he didn’t even want to play. We talked him into playing and we worked with him on his baseball skills. In the middle of the season he was ready to play in a real game. In that game he had tried his best and did great but he wasn’t able to make any good plays. At the end of the game he got down on himself. He was saying bad stuff about himself and about the other team. We went over to him and talked about how that ain’t good sportsmanship and about how he shouldn’t loose all confidence. At the last game of the year he played so well. He was making plays left and right. He got a nice hit to right field and his pinch-runner got all the way to third base. At the end of the game he got the game ball.

This has taught me so much about the abilities of different players and how they can contribute to the team because I always used to think “He is in a wheelchair and he can’t play ball. Why is he here?” But then I realized he really can play ball. It just goes to show that some people have hidden strength, even in the most spontaneous ways.