Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Chelsey - Greenville, North Carolina

I believe life is a continuing learning process that is controlled by our thoughts and our actions. I have heard many times that life gets easier with age, but I wonder if this is really true? I am a 22 year old college student and I have not experienced my life getting any easier than it was when I was five years old chasing butterflies around on the soccer field. I thought life was pretty magnificent at that time, but to be completely honest, I think life has continued to get more difficult and frustrating. I can remember the many nights I called my mom in tears and screaming about how stressed out I was, how terrible the day had been, and how I didn’t think I could deal with life anymore. My mom would always say to me “everything would be okay and that tomorrow was a new day for fresh actions.” I would think to myself, “Gee, Mom thanks for the GRAND advice!” However, now I have begun to realize the bad days actually do make the good days seem that much better depending on my actions. Everyday is filled with numerous choices and obstacles for us to overcome. Last semester, I took six courses for 18 credit hours, which many say is a work overload for a senior in college. At the beginning of the semester, I gazed at each course’s syllabus and I instantly went into “freak mode” as I like to call it. I was so frazzled and alarmed with the anticipated semester’s work. The thought of failing a class that would prevent me from graduating on time dominated my life. I was constantly thinking, yes, just thinking, about how I was going to write all of the required papers, read chapter after chapter, study and have a social life.

After my first collapse of the semester, which took place after a long week, I realized I needed to stop thinking and take action. So I did. It wasn’t painless, but when I

reflect on those days, I am grateful that I made the effort to accomplish what was needed to satisfy each course’s requirements. I took action and stopped just thinking about doing the work. I felt so proud of my accomplishments!

On numerous occasions I said I was going to do something I really wanted to do or change in my life, but I never actually did anything. I thought about outcomes so many times, but never took action. Life is about the actions we generate, the mistakes we make and the learning of lessons from those mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives, however, what really matters are the actions we take to correct our mistakes. So today, I am going to turn my thoughts into actions and develop into the person I have always thought of being. Like the saying goes, “actions speak louder than words.”