A Future of Clones

Connor - Moretown, Vermont

Everybody’s future is based on how they do academically. Pretty much, if you don’t do your homework, you don’t go very far. I believe that this is not enough. Doing homework is simply a working characteristic, much like being outspoken or obsessive compulsive. I believe that just because you cannot find the time to do things when you are at home, doesn’t mean you don’t deserve to go as far in life, or to follow a career path.

In order to get a good job, you need a degree. In order to get a degree, you need to make it into college. In order to do that, you need good grades. You get good grades by doing homework. That is normally the major percent of what your grade is. So, if you do well and give it your all in class, or do well on tests and such, but miss a few homework assignments, it’s all for nothing. I believe that this should be changed, and that a student should be looked at as individual and graded on how they do in their strengths, rather than by the same rubric as a different student with different academic strengths.

I have been an example of the kind of student that this happens to. I have been a fairly well student in class, I’ve done well on many of my tests and quizzes, but my weakness is that I seem to never do my homework. Because of this, my grades are always mediocre at best. I don’t find this fair because I see that I have strengths that other students don’t that could potentially get me farther career wise than simply writing a paper with good citations, or creating a poster with more colorful borders and neater handwriting. You don’t need those specific characteristics to enjoy the bounty of success.

So to end my essay, I disagree with the current standards of a good student, and with the direction our generation is heading towards a world of clones that are all good for only one service. We need to change the way we grade students and the way view students for missing one or two assignments when its simply just not a strength of theirs. This I believe.