Smoking Isn’t Worth It

Kaitlyn - Londonderry, New Hampshire
Themes: addiction

I strongly believe that smoking is not worth all of the harm it brings to your body, loved ones, and life. Smoking harms every part of your body, and deathly diseases are proven to be more common in smokers. Second-hand smoke can severely hurt the people around you, and has been proven to cause disease and even death. Once you start smoking, quitting is very difficult and in many cases a very hard task to accomplish. For these reasons, I believe that smoking should be avoided or quit at all costs.

400,000 people die every year from smoking alone. The many poisons found in cigarettes harm all of your vital organs. Every time you light up a cigarette you inhale 400 toxins, all of them stay in your body. Studies show that smokers are more likely to have acid reflux opposed to some one who doesn’t smoke. Heartburn is also more common in smokers. However, many of these health issues reverse themselves after the smoker quits. I believe that smoking will bring nothing but disease, pain, a shorter life, and a jittery feeling.

Smoking harms the people around you in many different ways, one of them being second-hand smoke. Cancerous diseases were found in individuals who had never smoked before, all from being around some one who has. Second-hand smoke damages, and even kills people who had never touched a cigarette before. Smoking also harms other people by smoking when pregnant. Mothers who are going through pregnancy and continue to smoke have very unhealthy babies. The babies are often times a lot weaker and smaller than healthy babies are. They need medication and constant care due to all of the poisons put in their blood streams before birth. Lastly, smoking harms other people by having to watch their loved ones throw away their lives. Once you start smoking it makes it very difficult to quit. However, in most cases when people quit smoking they have huge amounts of support. I believe that one person smoking could harm a bunch of people.

Smoking is very expensive and the costs are constantly being raised. Many highly addicted smokers smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. The average price for a pack of cigarettes is about five dollars. After one week a smoker would pay thirty-five dollars, not counting the gas prices they used to go to a convenient store to get them. Although smokers do get more work breaks, a large fraction of their pay is contributed to their habit. I believe money could be put to better causes than cigarettes.

Although the nicotine in cigarettes is very addictive, there are many strategies to quit smoking. When quitting smoking it is very good to have support. Tell a friend or family member the exact date you plan to quit smoking. On that date, plan a busy agenda to keep your mind off of cigarettes. Before hand, clean your clothes, bed sheets, car, and anything that has the smell of cigarettes on them. Quitting smoking would be very hard to accomplish with the smell everywhere you go. Throw away all of your cigarettes, even your secret stash. Urges are a lot more controllable when cigarettes are not there to tempt you. If the need for smoking becomes overbearing you might be interested in trying a form of replacement therapy. There are several different types of replacements, two of the being nicotine gum and a nicotine patch. Although they have nicotine in them, they lack all of the other poisons in cigarettes, making it a lot healthier. If neither of the therapies are for you, you could look into medication. The medication is proven to be effective and you will not gain as much weight. I believe that quitting smoking is worth the effort and time.

Lastly, I believe that is wrong for cigarette companies to make commercials targeting little kids. Kids are innocent, and should not have to worry about inhaling deadly toxins. I believe that the age for smoking should be increased and the prices should be moved up. I do believe that smoking should be illegal, however that would cause major job loss for those who work in the tobacco industry.

I have seen cigarettes completely control people’s lives. I have seen people who don’t feel good with out a cigarette in there hand. I have seen people who want to quit, but couldn’t because they were too addicted. I have seen people who spend the majority of their money on their habit. I have seen people significantly below age eighteen smoking. I have seen people with enough strength to quit. Therefor, I believe smoking should be stopped, before your life is.