I Couldn

Ann - Dearborn Heights, Michigan

I grew up in the 1960’s in a Roman Catholic family. I was fortunate enough to receive a twelve year Catholic education. My parents and my church raised my with good family values. I believe that life is to be respected. It is a gift from God. No one has the right to end it.

My first memory of being exposed to pro-life issues was in the sixth grade. Our class assignment was to deliver pro-life pamphlets, door to door. At that time after viewing the dismembered babies inside black garbage bags, I realized that abortion is murder. I am proud to be a member of Lifespan of Michigan. Since then, I was strongly opposed to abortion, and was not shy to voice my opinion about it. But, for the first time, in 2007, my faith was tested.

My unwed daughter got pregnant at the age of twenty. I worried because she didn’t have a committed relationship with her boyfriend. I worried because neither of them and steady jobs or health insurance. How can she handle a baby? I worried because she didn’t live on her own, and adding a baby in our household, could put a lot of stress on my husband and my relationship. I worried because my daughter confessed to me that she was drinking and using drugs, before and during her early pregnancy.

Then the next stage set in…anxiety. I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t eat. I lost fifteen pounds in a matter of two weeks. I was feeling nervous and was getting edgy with everyone around me. For the first time ever, I thought please God don’t let this baby be born. It’s not the right time. Whey did this happen? Our whole lives will be changed because of my daughter’s poor choices.

But then it finally hit me. Annie, stop! Get a hold of yourself. What good am I to myself or my husband, or my two beautiful daughters? I was making myself so sick that I couldn’t even function on a daily basis. Annie, have faith! Have faith! Everything happens for a reason. God has a plan. There had to be a reason for this blessing. God made me strong and from that moment I accepted it and began to enjoy the fact that I was going to be a grandma.

Now Kayla is nine months old. And, I was right, because of my daughter’s choices, our lives have changed. Everything has changed for the better.

Kayla is beautiful and the joy of my life. I couldn’t imagine my life without her. I worried for nothing. I truly believe that if you put your faith and trust in God, He will make you strong enough to handle any challenge in life.