The bridge to my horizon

Joseph - Fort Wayne, Indiana

My father’s life has greatly influenced my own in a number of ways. He has taught me the value of education and the importance of perseverance to reach my academic goals. The personal experiences of someone so close to me have taught me that I can achieve anything if I put my effort wholly behind my endeavors, whatever they may be.

My dad spent a number of years in college and then went on to earn his medical degree which allowed him to become what he is today, a pediatrician. His college road, like the road of all medical students, was not an easy one. He struggled through a difficult curriculum to go from a general understanding of medicine to a mastery of his specific field. This devotion to academic success has left a lasting imprint on my character.

From him, I have learned that everyone goes through trying times to achieve their dreams. Every individual must overcome his own, unique obstacles in order to attain what he desires the most out of life. These trials may take on many forms, but the dream stays the same.

I strive to emulate his dedication in every aspect of my own life. For example, this is true in friendships, sports, and most importantly, in school. Though I don’t know exactly what career I would like to pursue, I am certain that I will to choose a path that will allow me to help others. I may not follow in my dad’s footsteps and become a physician, but I will heed his lessons and follow his example of hard work and dedication. I know that I cannot reach any of my goals in life if I don’t first do well in my studies.

During my first year of high school I experienced what it meant to live my father’s message. I had a relatively demanding academic schedule and, at the same time, I was training for my eleventh year of gymnastics competition. At many times, especially during finals week, I thought of taking it easy and ending my studies early to relax. But then, my dad would come home late from work and I was reminded of his message. Seeing him gave me renewed vigor in my schoolwork, as I saw what I could become if I put in just that much more effort in my daily work.

I have learned that the fruits of my labor may not be seen immediately, but every challenge that I overcome will bring me one step closer to my final goal, and the experiences that lead me there will be enriching ones that will shape the content of my character for years to come.

Knowledge is the gateway for future vocational opportunities, and I always have this in mind. Success in the future is, for the most part, dependant upon past success in school. My dad is the chief reminder of what I can become in the future if I’m focused and dedicated in the present.