Kissing Bubbles

Elizabeth - Everett, Washington

The other night I came home and my mom and dad were getting ready to go on their nightly walk with my neighbors, Gregg and Karrie. I decided to go along with them and Gregg and Karrie’s three year old daughter, Nola, ended up going too. Somehow I ended up pushing the stroller on the walk. We took the long way to Safeway where we bought food and rented a movie that we ended up never watching. After we got back from Safeway, we ended up in Gregg and Karrie’s back yard around the campfire laughing, roasting marshmallows, and cooking hot dogs over the fire. It was when I was up running around playing with Nola, watching her laugh as I kissed the bubbles she was blowing that I started to believe in kissing bubbles.

Kissing bubbles takes me back to a time where I was a carefree kid, even just for a few moments. Karrie had showed me how excited Nola got when someone kissed a bubble and I found myself kissing bubble after bubble just so I could make Nola laugh. When I was kissing those bubbles time slipped away and every hurtful word, every bad day, every mistake I’ve ever regretted making just disappeared and I got to live in the moment and just be a kid once again. I was living in a moment where the only thing that mattered was making Nola happy. I watched as the adults joined in every once in a while when a bubble would float over toward them. They stopped and took the time to be a kid for a moment. I watched as Nola would try to kiss a bubble and watched the excitement on her face when she did.

I believe in kissing bubbles because it’s where you find that kid you used to be. You know the one I’m talking about; the kid that didn’t know heartache, the one that didn’t worry about how they looked or what they wore, the one that only worried about what game to play and what toy was going to be at the top of their Christmas list. People need to be reminded how to relax. There comes a time in life where you have to let go and grow up, but there are times when you can take a step and be that kid again. Kissing bubbles; it sounds silly and childish, but no one ever got hurt when they took the time to just experience the pure joy of childhood.