Animal Abuse in Entertainment

Amanda - Londonderry, New Hampshire

Animal Abuse in Entertainment

I believe all animals should have the right to live freely in their natural habitat. Every day, animals are used against their will to entertain humans. They are overworked, poorly cared for, and are never given the chance to live in the wild. Circuses, zoos, and horse races are just three practices that are accepted in our society that I believe mistreat animals and should not be accepted.

Circuses are thought of as a great American tradition, but the way they treat animals is hardly that. Wild animals are taken out of their habitats only to be tortured and trained to do humiliating tricks for the entertainment of humans. They are often beaten and overworked while being trained to do these tricks. Most of these animals are also kept in unsuitable conditions such as cramped, uncomfortable cages. Some cities throughout the nation have even started banning the use of wild circus animals because of the inhumane treatment from which the animals suffer.

Thousands of people visit zoos each day in the U.S. These zoos contain animals that were taken from the wild or born in captivity without a chance of ever living in the wild. In the past, most zoos were simply rows of tiny, concrete cages. Theses zoos were also unable to provide the correct climate each animal needed year round. Now, most modern zoos keep animals in large areas that re-create an animal’s natural habitat. They are also able to keep animals in areas where the temperature can be controlled. However, even with these many animal-friendly renovations, most zoos are more focused on the entertainment value of the center than the animals well being and needs. Zoos can provide an educational and entertaining experience for visitors as long as they keep animal care as the highest priority.

Horse racing is a popular sport that is almost always associated with gambling. This is the cause of one of the biggest problems relating to horse racing. Since winning is the main concern to horse owners, they are focused on what is best for a successful race, not what is best for the horse. If a horse does not win race, that horse is generally given away or sometimes even killed. To try to ensure that horses win, trainers overwork the horses and often use drugs to enhance their performance. Another method often seen is the use of whips. They are used by jockeys to speed a horse up during a race. They could, however, also lead to a horse collapsing, meaning all the horses and jockeys participating in the race would be put in danger. There was a recent death of a racehorse during the Kentucky Derby. The horse, named Eight Belles, placed second, but broke her two front ankles and ended up dying. This caused commotion throughout the racing world and also proved that things at horse races need a change. If racehorses were to be treated with more care, their careers and lives would last much longer.

Animals used in entertainment never have the chance to live in their natural habitat. Spreading awareness of animal mistreatment can help to improve conditions at places such as circuses, zoos, and horse races. Petitions are just one thing people could do to stop these and other kinds of animal cruelty. Being aware of animal abuse and reporting it when it is seen are other simple things that can be done to prevent it. If everyone did one of these small things then there would be one more improvement for the animals in our world.