i believe in second chances

Laura - ventura, California
Themes: setbacks

“What? I didn’t steal that!”. It was Thursday my friend and I went to the mall and we were just hanging out when all of a sudden I realize I don’t have any shirts so my crazy mind thought I should steal a shirt or two. Well, I did, the first shirt was like oh wow I got away with it but the second one was just my worst nightmare.

I was born a very misfited child I was cute nice and smart but I was a brat. I always thought I had it so good because I am my mom’s favorite child. But on Thursday afternoon everything changed. I changed of some sort from spoiled nice daughter to a teen that’s on her way to juvenile hall. That day though changed me. I just wanted a new shirt I thought what could possibly be the harm in that but one of the employees didn’t think the same way. After the first shirt I felt slick, relieved, and all things happy. I knew I could possibly steal one more so I did but she looked through all the shirts when I “tried them on” and my worst nightmare came true… the security button fell from the other random shirts and she said “where’s the third shirt?” I panicked. I had no idea what to say, do or think so I said the first thing that came to my head which is the dumbest thing even a nine year old would say “what?, I didn’t steal that”. Then out of my huge surprise she says “get out! And don’t come back!” I was so shocked and so many questions were going through my head like “why?”, “why didn’t she turn me in?”, “why didn’t I get punished”, “why did I get away with it?” All these questions haunted me for a whole week. I thought with my grades I couldn’t possibly disappoint my mom more than I already had. That’s why I believe in second chances. I believe that there are reasons that you get second chances, so that you could learn from the mistake that you’ve done and not to repeat it once more because it is called second chances not third or fourth that would make things just bad.

So I guess I’m a lucky one that was chosen to get a second chance. I’m happy that happened because if it hasn’t my road would have gone on a bad direction. Although my grades are improving just a little it’s a start.