i believe in the present

christine - pearl river, New York
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the present. I believe in living day-to-day and not planning things out unless I absolutely have to. Even when I have to though, I have a hard time doing it because I can never make decisions. This “belief” is not so much a belief as just a way I live my life. For example, my guidance counselor called me to his office to talk about colleges. I had to narrow down a list of colleges I would consider going to and my list is huge, I barely narrowed down anything at all. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to, it was because I couldn’t. The only thing I knew for sure is that I didn’t want to go to a community college or an all-girls college. This is why I don’t like people asking me what I want to do in the future, what I want to major in or what college I want to go to. I know that eventually I will end up at a good college and I have no idea how I’m going to end up deciding on that college but I don’t want to worry about it now. I believe in worrying about what I need to do today, this second, not a year from now. I make plans last minute and so if someone calls me asking me to go somewhere that night I can always say yes because I most likely won’t have previous obligations. I hate when someone asks me to go somewhere a week in advance and I say yes because then if something better to do comes up I can’t go because I already have a previous commitment. Another good thing about making plans depending on the moment is that those plans are less likely to fall through because there isn’t time for anything else to come up. I like not knowing what I’m going to do each night or weekend, It allows me to just drive past a sign for say the Greek festival that is this weekend and be like “hey why not stop?” Living on impulse is a much more fun way of living life than living life cautiously, planning out everything. Although it may make more sense and there are benefits, I would rather live life carefree without worrying about the future so far in advance. It may not work for some people, but I turned out fine living my life this way. Unlike my friends who are worrying about tests three weeks in advance and college applications not due until next year and jobs they don’t need until summer, I don’t have to take pills for a headache twice a day. They are always stressing out or worrying about something that they shouldn’t be worrying about for quite some time while I’m on my couch watching American Idol and the only thing on my mind is what I’m going to watch next.