Soould we stay in the Iraq war?

Patrick - Pearl River, New York

I believe that the United States of America should stay in the war in Iraq until the Iraqis have a permanent functioning government. The United States should stay in this war, so we can provide the Iraqis with the freedoms like we as Americans have. Right now the Iraqis are in fear for their lives, they are afraid to go out in public. The Iraqis should have freedoms; and if the United Nations does not want to help them to attain their freedom, then we should be the ones to give it to them.

The United States Army is completely voluntary the soldiers that join this great army to defend our great nation, to be peacekeepers throughout the world, and many other reasons why they joined the United States Army. The people that believe in pulling the troops out of the war are disregarding the wishes of the soldiers. They joined our Army to do exactly what they are doing right now-protecting the rights that are being violated by militants. The people who are telling the president to pull out of Iraq say they are doing this for the soldiers who died and who will die, but those soldiers joined a cause that they are willing to die for and if you want to pull out you are not honoring those lost soldiers. You are dishonoring their wishes. They wished to fight for their cause and if we pull out, then we are dishonoring their last wish.

I believe that America is the best country in the world for many reasons. One of those reasons is our freedom that we have, and that we don’t understand that many people in the world do not have that freedom. It is our right not just as Americans but also as human beings to spread that freedom throughout the entire world. We have to stay in Iraq until the Iraqi people have received their freedom.

My father’s friend who was a friend of the family for years, joined the army right after the terrorist attacks on 9/11. He was very determined to protect our country and other people’s freedoms that were being violated. I remember that he once told me that if he did not return from war I should not mourn his death but should make sure that he died for a cause that was not abandoned. I told him that I would do whatever it takes to make sure that his death was for no reason, but for a cause that he was willing to die for. I was deeply saddened when he told me this but I moved past it and finally really understood what he was talking about on my front porch on that September night. This I believe we as Americans should stay in Iraq until the job is done.