This, is What I Believe

Paul - Colchester, Connecticut
Themes: pleasure

I believe that everyone should do what they like, and they should strive to be the best at it. I do this in everything I do, for example school. School isn’t my favorite, but I know that it’s important, so I try to be the best and get good grades. Trying and enforcing my belief paid off because I was recommended for all honors classes for high school, but I moved down a level in English because it isn’t my favorite or strongest subject.

Through school I play the alto saxophone which is really fun, so I try to be number one at this, too. So far it has been working out because I’m the first saxophone in the Jazz band. Being the first sax came with a solo in Steam Shuffle, a song we played in our last concert. I was a little nervous because it was my first time soloing, but since it was my first time I think I did all right. Because my solo wasn’t perfect, I will try to get better at solos to continue my belief. I’m going to try to get better for when I play in the future, possibly in high school or college.

I also try to do my best at all the sports I play. The sports I play are soccer, baseball, and I run track for school. In soccer, I usually play midfield and I’m pretty good at it. I run back and forth to help defend our team’s goal and to help score. An example of how hard I work to be the best is that I used to only kick with my right foot because I’m a natural righty. In about sixth grade, I realized that being able to kick with both feet could give me an advantage. So in practice and at home, I worked on kicking with my left foot. Now I’m a lot better at it and I’m still trying to get even better.

For baseball I play any position, which is good because not everybody can do that. I really want to be the best at this because if possible, and given the chance, I would like to play professional baseball. I’ll have to work extra hard to be the best at it because I know very few baseball players make it to the major leagues.

During track, I practice hard and try to go as fast as I can even though it is only practice. While practicing, I pretend that it isn’t practice and I need to win. I know I’m not going to win every race but that pushes me to work harder so that I might be able to.

This all explains my statement of do what you like and strive to be the best at it. If you do this you have a better chance at doing the things you love.