Nathan - Gardiner, Maine

Nathan Mitchell

AP English

Mr. Lerette

6-9-08

“Best of times, Most confusing of times”

Church was an interesting place for me as a young child. I never really knew what to make of it. It was so big and so very confusing, not being able to understand a word that the priest was saying. Now that I am older I still do not feel as though I have grasped the many topics of religion. My grandmother was the one that first brought religion into my life. She was the one responsible for this madness.

I still remember this one day that my grandmother took me to church and the priest that was doing the mass had an extremely annoying monotone. Have you ever heard the saying, “I’d rather watch paint dry”. Well that applies to this situation. It amazes me how the other people that were in that mass could sit through something like that. Needless to say, I was very glad when that mass was over.

I have never understood the origins of Christianity, the Bible, or anything in between. That stuff is too complicated for me to comprehend. It is also very controversial as well. How are people supposed to believe what they read in the Bible. Why can’t they believe the experiments that have been done to support the theory of evolution. How come Jesus could die and then come back to life? I want to see scientific proof that something like that is really possible. Until I see for myself a shred of evidence, I will continue to believe in the theory of evolution.

That day in church was the moment when I first questioned Christianity itself. I have never felt the same way about it since. From what I saw from that priest that day, I do not know what to believe. There are so many things that influence my beliefs or at least try to influence my beliefs that I cannot tell the difference between my own beliefs and the beliefs of others around me. So in a way, church did help me in a way with what I believe. I now feel a lot different about church and Christianity itself.