Staring in the face of fear…….

Christopher - 3125, Australia

Have you ever wanted to do something so bad that your negative thoughts and fears stops you from achieving your goals? Well this almost happened to me in my final year of primary school.

In the first term of year six the opportunity arose for students to step up to the challenge of becoming a House Captain. For this to happen the students who wanted to rise to the challenge had to prepare a speech and present it to their fellow house members. Now this is where I come in. Since my early years of primary school I have always looked up to previous house captains and the responsibilities and leadership duties that they have under taken. I thought that I would never be able to become a house captain.

My fears and lack of confidence in my abilities to be able to stand up and talk about myself and my reasons why I thought I would make a good house captain seemed overwhelming to me that it even made me feel sick. I expressed my feelings to my mum. After a long chat with her I was given a lot of advice and I then realised that I had been given a great opportunity to achieve one of my dreams. But ultimately it was my decision to try and over come my fears. After I talked to mum I felt relieved and ready to give it a go.

When the time came I started to think twice about my decision that I had earlier made. My lack of self-confidence was overtaking me. I remembered the advice my mum had given me ,took a deep breath and decided that I could do it and before I knew it my speech was over.

Afterwards I felt wonderful. I had this huge sense of achievement and realized that the fear that I was feeling was all in my head and I was letting it prevent me from doing all the things I wanted to do.

I learnt to believe in myself and that there will be so many more opportunities throughout my life and that I won’t let my fears take over and prevent me from trying to achieve my goals.

By the way I did become House Captain – thanks mum.