Andrew - Colchester, Connecticut

I believe in lending a hand to help. I have been a Boy Scout in Troop 13 for about 3 years. Before that I was a Cub Scout as a little tiny kid for 5 years. That was 8 years, and now I have just become a Life Scout. I’ve done several great activities through scouting, and I can even remember as an 8-year old sleeping over on Battleship Cove or in museums like the Boston Science Museum or Higgins Armory Museum. Though it is a lot of fun, there are many of times when I need to help out in town. Tons of kids say that this is boring, but it can be fun if you make it. Kids get smarter as they get older, but in my school they seem to get worse about stereotypes. Kids have said that it’s “un-cool”, “dumb”, or “boring” to be in scouts, but I like the activities I do and the friends that I have in scouting. Although a few kids think it isn’t fun, I keep my goal of reaching Eagle Scout.

Camping, shooting rifles, shotguns, arrows, and building large fires are only a few of the activities we do. Scouting does a lot for the community. We run a large number of food drives, blood drives, town events, and uncountable service projects around town. Every scout needs service hours and one large project to advance and reach the rank of Eagle, so there are many projects happening almost all the time throughout the year.

Working at service projects and talking to people at blood drives, I have heard plenty of adults and former scouts say thank you and talk about scouting when they were young or how they have a son in scouting. 99% of these people say that they were disappointed that they didn’t follow through to Eagle Scout. Even at food drives and other events I get many “thank you”s from people. I also see in papers how these drives affect people. It lets me know I make a difference standing in the cold for 2 hours collecting food in front of Stop & Shop.

I have also recently done the “Rock-a-thon” to raise money for Haiti with my church. Every kid that participated brought a small donation of $100, and together we made $21,000 to support nurses in Haiti to help others. Large and small, all donations helped. Before the Rock-a-thon there was a presentation to see where the money was going and what these nurses were doing to help and I saw many of the malnourished and starving children that were cured. Many people think you need to give a lot to really help, but even small contributions add up to make a huge difference.

There are many times when Americans think they are just one person and can’t give much, so they don’t bother to give. A little is much more than nothing. I believe even giving a little makes a difference.