Katie - Colchester, Connecticut

I believe that no matter where you live in the world, you can accomplish or strive to achieve anything.

When I was about four years old, I joined Scottish Highland Dancing. I have received several awards such as medals and trophies and completed many levels of dancing. Unfortunately, I have taken time off in between to become involved with other sports. I enthusiastically look forward to Wednesday evenings to master more in my dance school classes and take part in a great event in my culture.

I’m now thirteen years old and have been dancing for ten years. I have traveled all over the world to be involved in big competitions, small competitions, and even Championships. At my first Novice competition, I won my first trophy and I still have that trophy in my bedroom today, next to all of the other trophies that I have earned.

I’ve traveled throughout the United States Canada, and even Scotland. In the year 2001, I went to Scotland and performed in my first Championship of Scotland there. I was very scared and was really worried to make a fool of myself in the place that Scottish Highland Dancing came from. I love studying the new surroundings and comparing the differences of each place in the world that I visit as well.

My family is very supportive. I am honored to have the knowledge that the people who come to watch me dance are impressed and know that I’m involved in a great sport that is not common where I live. My mother, Louise, takes me to all of my competitions and is the person who encourages me to work my hardest, strive until I develop the confidence about my undertaking, and train until I’m ready. My grandmother, Elizabeth, was born in Scotland and comes to as many competitions as she can with her schedule. She is also delighted to know that her granddaughter is participating in a cultural activity from her homeland, and I participate in an activity that reminds her of where she was raised and what she saw back at home. I am self-satisfied to make my family so mirthful and pleased to have a dancer who enjoys and appreciates dancing as much as I do.

My family is not angry if I lose or don’t receive an award that’s not the greatest in the world. They know that I’ll exert myself to make them gratified and give them a thrill of a lifetime to see me dance again. Also, to achieve that award that could be the best in the world. Until then, I’m practicing at home and preparing to win my next competition. I get greater and greater every time by learning new things and growing on old ones but, no matter what, I never let the fear of losing cross my mind and get in my way of victory. Because no matter where you live or what you do in the world, you can accomplish or strive to achieve anything once you take that first step towards victory.