Living up

Never - Melbourne, Australia
Themes: environment

Have you ever had a power failure? What about all of those people a couple of weeks ago who lost their electricity in a storm. They had no power for 3 or 4 days, but they coped, found other ways to cook, keep warm and have fun. I don’t know if we really need all that we have. I don’t think that electricity, houses, cinemas, swimming pools and other ‘enjoyment’ facilities really are necessary. What if we all lived in trees? We wouldn’t have room for TV’s that’s a start, or computers and that big soft couch; we would only have room for the essentials, food and somewhere to sleep. I have always found TV boring, and would prefer to be out and about with other people and not having electronic devices I feel that we would be more of a community, find new and different ways to do things and there would be no end to creativity.

We could also save the Ozone lair if we didn’t use electricity. We wouldn’t need cities with horrible big concrete buildings as the cities would be replaced by trees as they are something that grows naturally and living in them we would have created a much greener future for ourselves.

Recently I went on a school camp where we walked around at the top of a mountain, carrying all of our personal belongings. So the more personal belongings you bought the more you had to carry and the harder you made it for yourself. My friend and I shared some of our things like toilet paper, knives, sunscreen, and the list goes on, and because we shared it made it easier for us. When hiking we had no technology so if you wanted company you turned around and there would always be someone there willing to talk to you and muck around with you. We had to learn to work together as there was nowhere to go if you got angry or upset. This camp taught me that I did not need all the things I thought I did. And camping close to the ground made me realise we could live with the very bare basics up the mountain so why not everywhere else and help not to put a dent in our earth (except for the tree roots!).