Essential, Core Christian Beliefs

Ray - Indiana, Pennsylvania
Themes: Christianity

I believe the essential, core Christian beliefs are the following:

A Christian must:

a) REPENT of his/her sins. In Mark 1:15 – Jesus said “Repent and believe the good news!”

(A dictionary says that “repent” means to feel sorrow, remorse, or regret for one’s past conduct. The author of Belief Matters (CharlesYrigoyen, Jr.) says that repentance is “a complete turning to God and the reorientation of our lives around God’s presence and will.” Sin means the departure of an individual from God’s will.)

b) BELIEVE the essential, core beliefs expressed in the combination of the Apostles’ Creed, the Korean Creed, and the Nicene Creed as summary expressions of Biblical truth. A Christian ACCEPTS God’s grace and gift of salvation. John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

(Korean Creed:

We believe in the one God, maker and ruler of all things, Father of all men, the source of all goodness and beauty, all truth and love.

We believe in Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, our teacher, example, and Redeemer, the Savior of the world.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, God present with us for guidance, for comfort, and for strength.

We believe in the forgiveness of sins, in the life of love and prayer, and in grace equal to every need.

We believe in the Word of God contained in the Old and New Testaments as the sufficient rule both of faith and of practice.

We believe in the Church as the fellowship for worship and for service of all who are united to the living Lord.

We believe in the kingdom of God as the divine rule in human society, and in the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God.

We believe in the final triumph of righteousness, and in the life everlasting. Amen.)

c) DO the will of God as an expression of, and within the context of, faith (recognizing that works outside of faith have no spiritual value or importance). Matthew 7:21: Jesus said “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Micah 6:8: “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”