Mothers should be top priority for a pay increase

Reed - DeLand, Florida
Themes: equality, work

Are your smarter than a fifth grader? What is your answer to the following multiple

choice question: Who is most deserving of a pay raise in 2008?

A. Oil company executives

B. President of the United States

C. Mothers

I am sure that oil company executives relaxing in their yacht today voted for “A.” Oil

company executives receive huge salaries and perks. The Associated Press reported last

month that “Exxon Mobil Corp, whose $40 billion profit last year again broke the record

for a U.S. company, gave chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson an 18% raise to $21.7 million . . . The Texas native also received $429,792 in “other compensation: that included $229,331 for personal security, $41, 122 for personal use of company aircraft and $9,150 for financial planning.”

I am sure that the President Bush would vote for “B.” When George Bush was elected

president in 2000 he was aghast to learn that his salary would only pay $200, 000 a year.

“That’s it”? Observed Bush, “A measly couple hundred grand a year. . . I guess I assumed that a job like that would have a much bigger salary. In 2001 the annual salary of the president was increased to $400,000 per year, including a $50,000 expense allowance.

I believe that the correct answer is “C.” Mothers deserve a huge salary increase. developed a valuation of a “mom job” and determined the time that mothers spend for performing 10 typical job functions. According to the average mother works 92 hours a week. The studied concluded, “The job titles that best matched a mom’s definition of her work are (in order of hours spent per week): housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO, and psychologist.” According to the average salary of a stay-at-home mother should be $138,095.

In reflecting on mothers, Charles Dickens said: “I think it must be somewhere written

that the virtues of the mothers shall be visited upon the children, as well as the sins of the

fathers.” Great mothers are not the source of media attention these days. Today’s mothers

with great courage and perseverance go about the business of raising our future

Americans- scientists, teachers, writers, doctors, nurses, political leaders . These great

mothers are courageous in the face of tough economic times, figuring out a way to make

ends meet while gas and food prices skyrocket.

Abraham Lincoln, one of our greatest president’s said this about mothers “all that I

am or every hope to be I owe to my angel mother.” The author Macaulay observed:

“Children, look into those beautiful eyes, listen to that dear voice, feel the gentle touch

bestowed upon you by that loving hand, and make as much of it as you can while yet you

have that most precious of all good gifts, a loving mother.” Thomas Edison observed,

“My mother was the making of me. She was so true and so sure of me. I felt that I had

someone to live for- someone I must not disappoint. The memory of my mother will

always be blessing to me.”

In December of last year NASA astronaut Daniel Tani was orbiting the Earth when his

90 year old mother died in a train accident. In commenting to reporters, Tani felt he had

lost the person who had been his inspiration for most of his life. Mothers are superior to

fathers in their ability to love, care for and train children to make something of their

The author, Sterling W. Sill wrote: “We admire the artist who presents mimic man

upon the canvas. We applaud the sculptor who carves that same image in the enduring

marble, but oh how insignificant are these achievement, though the highest and fairest in

all the realms of art, as compared to the great vocation of the human mother. She works

not upon canvas that will fade or upon marble that will crumble into dust, but upon mind

and spirit that will endure forever and bear throughout eternity the noble impress of a

mother’s hand.”

America is fortunate to have so many great mothers. American mothers are the most deserving of a pay raise.