Love to Dance

Ashley - West Gardiner, Maine

Love to Dance

I believe in doing what you love, and loving what you do. Even if you’re not exactly where you want to be, you should not give up on what you love. Doing what you love should be something you take pride in, something you believe in. I have been dancing for 15 years and love (almost) every minute of it. I’ll admit there have been tough times while doing what I enjoy.

Every year there’s a try-out at my dance studio for Junior and Senior Dance Society. Grades 6-8 make up the junior squad and grades 9-12 make the senior squad. In sixth grade I didn’t have high expectations of making it – and didn’t. However the next year I thought I had a good shot at making it or at least being an alternate. Well, I didn’t and cried uncontrollably. But I didn’t give up; I still danced in regular junior high classes and worked at getting better.

Eventually my hard work paid off, the next year I made the squad not as an alternate but as a full member. This means I got to dance in two jazz numbers and two tap numbers instead of one each.

Soon that year ended, it was then time to try-out with the “big dogs.” The Senior Dance Society is the best of the best at my dance studio. These girls dance with grace, poise and confidence. Their pirouettes, turns, moves are to the point perfect. To be one of them is my ultimate dream. In my freshman and sophomore years I didn’t make the squad. This was not a gigantic disappointment. However, things didn’t go my way … again. My junior year, I thought I would be on the squad, but I didn’t make the cut. I was devastated. I cried nonstop for days dreading to go back to regular high school dance classes. I wanted to quit or change dance schools, or something, but my mom wouldn’t let me. Instead, she called my teacher and asked what I was doing wrong. Vicki explained the situation and said that she hoped I wouldn’t quit or change schools because I was still a good dancer.

As the year went on a miracle happened, a girl quit the squad. An alternate was moved up to her spot and I got the alternate’s spot! That made my year; anything else that happened couldn’t compare to the joy I felt that day. Now I get to dance in six of eight numbers for Senior Dance society. By sticking with what I love, I got moved up and am happier than ever. Instead of giving up, I stuck it out. I worked hard and it paid off, I learned you should never quit something you love, even if you are where you do not want to be. It should make you want to work harder to be better. Dancing is something I love and take pride in. It makes me feel good and I hope to continue dancing. I believe in doing what you love and loving what you do.