The Power of Self-Motivation

Augusto - Los Angeles, California

I believe that the strongest trait that any person can have is the ability to motivate themselves. I began to use this ability when I entered my high school year, and I’ve been using it ever since. Self-Determination is the ability to use negative things as fuel in order to succeed.

The ability to self-motivate comes in handy when the odds are against you. I’ve used this skill in many instances of my life and it always works, as long as I’ve remained consistent. Not too long ago I saw an interview of a wealthy looking man and that was when I first picked this up. The man said that he’d made a list of goals that he wanted to accomplish, and when he needed motivation he’d just look at his list. I figured that the wealthy man’s advice would be useful, and indeed it was. At the moment I made a list of goals that I’d like to accomplish and in that list I included: living in a mansion, owning a BMW M3, and having a white collar job. When I’m lacking motivation or when I feel like giving up, I take a glance at my list and think of what it takes in order to accomplish my goals. I’ve learned that in order to accomplish these goals and get everything that I want in life, I have to start by doing well in school. So, when I look at my list, I get motivated and I start doing all of my work. I get extra motivated because I understand that there are a lot of people that don’t believe in me and think that I’m aiming too high. That gets me angry. My own sisters tell me that my goals are unrealistic, and that just fires me up.

My junior year has been my most challenging and stressful year in school. After the winter break finished I’d gotten used to not doing much work, so when I went back to school I just didn’t want to go back to working three to four hours a day. My grades began to suffer and when I saw the first “C” of my life, I flipped. I went home that day and stared at the infamous “C”. I began to plot the ways to kill my nemesis, like a serial killer would. It all came back to my ability to motivate myself though. I started thinking about all the negative things that I’ve heard and linked it to my grades. I figured that I was contributing to all the negativity around me, I was feeding the beast. From that point on I worked hard for approximately four hours and I caught up on work that I had not done.

I’ve used self-motivation as fuel to my engine for a long time. I believe in the power of self-motivation and all the positive things that it brings to one’s life. Self-motivation is somewhat of an advantage to those who use it wisely.