Nazia - Minnetonka, Minnesota

What is the point of finding the meaning of life? Why spend your entire lifetime finding a reason for your existence? You would just be going around in circles your entire life. You could never grow because you would be too busy finding a reason to everything that happens.

I believe that in order to expand into the future you have to go past reason.

Last summer, my family and I went on a vacation to Bangladesh. We stayed in Bangladesh for four weeks, and then left for Pakistan for our last one week of vacation.

We arrived in Pakistan late at night around eleven. We stayed with my great-uncle, and when we arrived at his home we were mugged. Three men stole from us our camera, jewelry, and money. Our camera had all one thousand pictures of Bangladesh, and two hours worth of video. The rest of our week consisted of all of our family members telling us it could have been worse. We heard stories of other recent muggings.

I never really knew how to react, so I didn’t. I stayed quiet, and went on with the week like nothing happened. When we came home I remember my mom saying that there would be a reason this happened, but it would take time to learn what it was. I kept trying to think of a reason, but I could never think of one. After some time I have come to a conclusion. I am going to live my life knowing that happened, but not hope that I will one day wake up and learn its true meaning.

Looking back and analyzing the past only stops time. It doesn’t create time. Though we can learn from our mistakes, it’s what we do after learning those mistakes that makes up our future. I could spend time analyzing every aspect of that mugging, and figure out key lessons. The fact of the matter is I wouldn’t go anywhere with that information. The key lessons learned would just be in the back of my mind as I live my daily life. They wouldn’t add to my future.

The reason of that event could be anything. The reason for any event could be anything. Humankind as a whole needs to understand that reason is a small part of our lives. Reason is a pillow. It comforts ourselves in times we need it. It doesn’t create or grow. It only reassures ourselves of who are in the present. If life was a road, reason would be a stop sign. It wouldn’t be the gas that made us move forward. You would have to stop, but you would also have to move on in order to leave it behind. In order to expand into the future you have to go past reason. This, I believe.