You Can Only Count on One Person, Yourself

Christine - USA

“This I Believe”

I’ve always been a pretty independent person. I like to get things done on time and the right way, or it will bother me for a long time after that. Then again, I’m not one to want to do work all the time, so if there are people there to help me, I’m all for it. You learn in life, this doesn’t always work and sometimes you are the only one you can depend on, even if you really trust another person, you can’t always put things important to you in their hands.

I once had to go to a volleyball tournament all day, but I had something important due the next day in school. My mom told me she would go the library since I waited until the last minute to go, and of coarse I trusted her because she is my mom after all. The friend I was working with seemed to understand I wasn’t going to be able to do much the day before it was due and said she would print out everything and put it together. I was there all day hoping everything would be okay once I got home. To my surprise, my mother ended up getting the wrong book and my friend couldn’t find one of the papers. I looked on my computer and didn’t have it because I knew she typed it on hers. This showed me that I shouldn’t have left my priorities up to others. I should have just gotten them done myself.

I will never depend on others this much again in my life. I know many people will read this and think that’s not a big deal, but what if I left a much bigger task in my life up to people I thought I trusted and they did something wrong. It’s the same concept that this situation helped me learn. You can never fully trust people in your life because you only know what your thinking, not what others are even though you might think you do. Therefore, depending on someone else can really screw you over in the end. Even if someone else influences you, it could only be you who will face the consequences.