Guardian Angels

Althea - Canyon Lake, California

It’s been at least 10 years since my Uncle Rick’s horrific car accident. He was ejected from the car and died upon impact. My aunt almost died and my young cousin Allison was found in a nearby bush with minor injuries. At the hospital the nurses asked Allison how she ended up in the bush.

Allison quickly replied with, “An angel put me there!”

The nurse chuckled, and asked her, “What did the angel look like?”

Allison thought hard, and replied, “He had a green shirt on.”

My Uncle Rick was wearing a green shirt that fateful day.

Was he the angel who carried her into that bush, or was it just the extent of a young child’s imagination? I feel that it was my uncle who saved her life, and that these things don’t just happen. I believe we all have someone looking out for us, whether they are alive or in spirit, who protect us and keep us safe.

As a baby, I was neglected by my mother. At two years old, she would fill the tub up to the brim with water and put me in it. She would lock my brother and me in closets, and at times she would forget we even existed. With the stories I‘ve heard and the things I remember, it’s a wonder how I’m still alive. I know that when I was in that tub, someone was looking out for me, or when I would crawl into the street, someone would pull me back. Maybe it’s all in my head. Maybe I’m delirious or delusional. I can say though, that I feel much safer and fortunate knowing I am never alone, and someone will always be there to protect me.

Guardian angels may be ghosts in white robes who float around watching over us, but I also feel that they can be living and part of our everyday lives. They may be the designated drivers, who make sure everyone gets home safe, organ donors, or just everyday people. In my case, my grandparents are my guardian angels.

Growing up without a mother or a father has impacted my life for the better. My

grandparents are my legal guardians, my living guardian angels. They took me in, after my mother left me. They have sheltered me and showered me with love since the day I was born, and have sacrificed many things for my well-being. They may not wear halos and fly around, but to me they are angels-my angels.