My Good Ol’ Red Jacket

Katelynn - Ventura, California

I have been attached to many things in my life. Pacifiers, baby blankets, and a range of stuffed animals, but never have I been attached to an article of clothing so plain and bold at the same time. This article of clothing that has stuck with me through tough and happy times – for I believe in my red jacket. My red jacket is a simple piece of clothing. It (along with an identical blue jacket that was soon forgotten) was given to me by my mother when I was in the 4th grade and I have never turned back since. I have had many other affairs with various jackets but I have never have felt more content than by the warmth of my red jacket.

This infamous love story first began in the 6th grade. Every once in a while the red jacket would come through the rotation of my other various jackets that I owned. Before hand, I always had my red jacket in the back of my closet, tucked in with some dusty dresses that I only wore when an occasional family wedding sprawled by. It was not until 8th grade that I really started to wear my jacket everyday. It all began when I was searching for the perfect jacket that I could wear all the time, no matter what the occasion was. One day, in a mad quest to express myself through the art of fashion, I stumbled across my red jacket and realized the dull look of it. I thought to myself, “What can I make of this?” and I brain stormed for about a day when a brilliant idea hit me in the head. I decided to throw on some scrap-fabric on the back with a peace sign drawn on it with a half-dead sharpie and the mocking quote, “Back by popular demand”. Thus, the legendary red jacket was born!

When I began to show off this new item I created, I noticed people were more aware of me. I began to receive more “Hello’s” and waves in the hallway of my middle school. This drove me to wear my red jacket more often. For about a year a, my reoccurring red jacket was not acknowledged in any way. It was not until my freshmen year that people started to notice that I wore a red jacket EVERYDAY to school. I was soon being recognized as, the-girl-with-the-red-jacket and it later progressed to plan old Redjacket. Of course I was so quiet and shy that no one really knew my real name so people just called me Redjacket and nothing else. It has become so famous amongst my group of friends that it had been announced that it was created by God and worn by Jesus.

Now, I am at the end of my sophomore year and I am still called Redjacket every now and then. My red jacket has gone through a lot of sweat, tears and some life changing moments. It is not even really a jacket anymore. It has too many rips, holes and tears to count. I have written on it, had other people write on it and I even got a semi-famous musician to sign it. My mom has tried to pry me from my red jacket with buying me similar looking jackets but I always return to my good ol’ red jacket. It is my identity and my comfort zone and I plan to never give it away.