A Chasing After the Wind

Katelyn - Glenwood, Maryland

What is life? Is it defined by how many tangible items are acquired over a lifespan? Time will continue regardless of any human’s presence in it; it will not be affected by a person’s absence. The beliefs a person holds creates a life worth living. The success of a man cannot be weighed by the possessions he grasps. In the end at final judgment, you are your only possession; you will be judged by your past. Live today a life in the path of God and then you will be saved, you’re life will gain purpose. Solomon, prosperous king of Israel said,

“I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;

I refused my heart no pleasure.

My heart took delight in all my work,

and this was the reward for all my labor.

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done

and what I had toiled to achieve,

everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;

nothing was gained under the sun.”

Anyone can live their life by satisfying earthly desires, but in the end their life will be empty and meaningless. Someone can accomplish their dreams, yet be overwhelmed by depression. With each goal accomplished, another one arises. Man is never satisfied; he is always thirsting for more. Even the wise man and the fool will both face the same fate: at some point in time they must die. The wise man may own abundances and the fool nothing, but without Jesus, their lives, toils, and accomplishments are meaningless.

To give to the needy and build shelter for the homeless will not exempt anyone from death. There is no remembrance of man; each life in essence will be forgotten.

Life is not a competition where the wealthiest man triumphs; life continues regardless of possessions. Life’s importance is the way in which it is spent; in the hours an individual dedicates to assisting another. By following God, life’s meaning is revealed; when you’re with God then is the time where your life continues on to Heaven instead of ending. Your actions and beliefs of today, and days to come, decide your eternal future.