There is No Such Thing as a Coincidence

Cody - Glenelg, Maryland

Over the course of my sixteen year life, I have visited Walt Disney World over sixteen times. When I went there in 2002 over Christmas break, it felt like just another trip to Disney World with my family. My family arrived safely and the first two days of the trip went as planned and we all had fun. On the third day of our vacation, we decided to go to MGM Studios. We all rode Rockin’ Roller Coaster and The Tower of Terror a few times and were having a great time.

When the sun went down and the night began, we all wanted to have something to eat, so we went to a crowded dining area. We had many choices of what to eat. I decided to get what I eat all the time, chicken fingers, and my dad got a huge turkey leg. My mom decided to get a coffee, because the air outside was cold. It may have been Florida, but it got cold there in late December of 2002. As I sat at a table and watched my family put down our food, I also saw my brother’s orange soda fall off the table and spill all over the ground. My sister quickly put down the tray with my mom’s coffee on it on the table and helped my brother. Meanwhile, the tray must have tilted, because the coffee also tipped over and spilled. However, this beverage landed on my right leg.

The extremely hot coffee seeped through my sweatpants and my leg blistered immediately. I remember no pain. I remember nothing except standing up and screaming. Within a second, I saw help running through the crowd with a handful of ice. I had never seen this woman in my life and haven’t seen her since that cold night. I don’t know her name and she didn’t know my name when she ran to help me. All she knew when she put ice on my leg to cool my burn was that I felt extreme pain and had burned my right leg. I don’t even know how she knew that.

She took care of my leg and I got out of that incident with only second degree burns on my leg. I don’t even have a scar on my leg. If she hadn’t been there, I could have permanent damage to my leg, more than a scar even. I might not be able to play baseball today. I could also be mentally scarred. This woman changed my life.

Was it a coincidence that she visited Disney World at the same time as I did? Was it a coincidence that she went to MGM studios the same day as I did? Was it a coincidence that she decided to eat in the same dining area at the same time as I did? I don’t believe that any of those were coincidences. I believe there are no coincidences. Even if it is as small as everyday things that people dismiss or as big as a woman good enough to help an injured boy being at a site of an injury, these can’t be coincidences. These things happen for reasons. I don’t know if this woman was there because of God or not, but she was there for a reason: to help me when I burned my leg visiting a place that I am so familiar with. This I believe.