The Belief in Dreams

Aamir - Mt. Airy,, Maryland

The Belief in Dreams

When I was a kid I was always told to chase my dream. Whatever it was, just chase it, until I get it. I thought that I could do it until someone gave me a harsh reality. It was 1st grade and we had to present on what we wanted to be when we grew up. Being the over confident kid I was I presented on how I wanted to be a prince. I learned everything about how to be a prince because that was my dream, I went up to present and tell everyone about my goal in life, and my teacher, my own first grade teacher, Mrs. White told me that it wasn’t possible for this to happen. Princes were decided by blood lines, and mine wasn’t one of them. I was destined to be a normal boring non prince person, I wouldn’t marry a pretty princess, just because I was normal, I wasn’t one of the special blood people. I felt that I was discriminated against just by my blood, I didn’t even know what blood type princes were, because I thought B positive was definitely one of them, I guessed it must have been AB or something because my dad is O and my aunt was A so the only one left was AB.

I was shocked, my dream had been crushed, and my belief of being anything I wanted to be was gone. I was only 6 years old and I felt that the world had betrayed me. I was supposed to be a prince, I wanted to do it, and so I should have been able to. It wasn’t fair that I don’t get my dream but the kid who wanted to be a plumber could, and this kid was barley potty trained. How come I couldn’t have my dream, how come I was singled out, and why did my parents lie. I screamed these questions at them and I was crushed. They told me the same thing that, I shouldn’t give up and I will get my dreams, but they have to be more realistic. How could I believe them? I gave up, I wasn’t going to be and important person, so I just gave up and returned to my normal life, without a dream.

Later that week, my first grade teacher pulled me aside. She told me that in a way I could be royalty without being a prince. Princes had to be in a blood line, but presidents and prime ministers do not. She explained to me the reality of dreams and beliefs, which is that if you have a dream and you work for it and you give your best effort you will get something close if not your dream. That day I learned that my parents were right, but not complete, I can achieve anything, but if I don’t get what I want, I will at least get something close.

When I came home I was ecstatic. I would be a prince, I would be a leader, or I would be some sort of person of power. My life, then, had a purpose, and once I found out what my name mean in Indian, just propelled me forward, I was supposed to be some sort of leader, because my name means princely.

After I was about eight years old, I didn’t have the dream of being a prince, or any form of royalty, because I was tired off all of the politicians and dignitaries in our terrible world, but I didn’t lose my belief or my dream, I changed it. I know that dreams don’t ever leave you, and they can come true, in some form, and all it takes is belief. This, I believe.