Money Can’t Buy Happiness

Caroline - Glenwood, Maryland

Money Can’t Buy Happiness

I grew up not worrying about money or anyone’s social status. We were always comfortable; and my parents never turned down a toy because of the price. After we moved from a townhouse to a house in Glenwood, MD, I experienced the different levels of social class.

For as long as I could remember, our neighbors have always been there. Despite what I remember, my mom told me they built their house after we were already here. I guess I was too young to notice. I never saw much of my neighbors, but it makes sense because they are filthy rich. Only once in my life have I been inside their house. I remember being mesmerized by all the hallways and chandeliers in there. The outside of their house is good enough proof that they have a lot of money. They even have a rock formation of their last name initial in front of their house. Their house is the size of a mansion. They never participated in Halloween or exchanged Christmas cookies. There never seems to be any life in that house. I know that their kids are grown up and have kids of their own now. They seem like typical, sour politicians.

What a difference between my neighbors and my grandparents in how happy they are. My grandparents are so open and loving despite their amount of wealth. They live about an hour away from my house in a ranch style home. They find joy in the smallest places. My grandparents love going to yard sales and antique shops. They don’t need to go to fancy suit and dress clothes stores to be happy. My neighbors can probably buy clothing from any store, but that doesn’t mean they are happy. While my grandparents have lots of true friends from church and their community, my neighbors only have political associates. One of my grandmother’s favorite things to do is work in her gardens. My grandfather takes pride in mowing their own lawn. My neighbors hire a gardening and mowing company. My grandparents love the fresh air, the exercise, and the job well done feeling. My neighbors are missing out on all that. My neighbor, Mr. Anderson , likes to talk to other countries on his Ham radio for fun. The Andersons go to dinner parties where they have to be social, when my grandparents go to potluck dinners at church where they laugh the whole time.

I believe having fun is doing something you love doing even if it is digging up weeds in your garden. My grandparents have fun just doing something together. They enjoy each other’s company most of all.