What goes around, comes around.

Michelle - Woodbine, Maryland

Walking out of my sixth period class, I felt miserable and tired. I had stayed up late studying for three tests in my hardest classes. I knew I should’ve studied earlier, but I didn’t; as a result, I suffered the consequences. I realized that my understanding of the material was inadequate because I was unable to study all of the material thoroughly. My brain refused to function at such late hours. I had a bad feeling about my tests, so I was in a bad mood.

My mom arrived about ten minutes late that day, and angry as I felt, I made a promise to myself to remain cool and not allow my impatience overcome me. Finally walking towards the car, I watched my mom smile nervously at me, and once I sat down in the car, I asked the question. “Why were you late?” Listening to my mom, fumbling for words and trying spit out her excuses, My determination to remain placid failed me when I realized that I didn’t care why she arrived late. My anger boiled inside of me because she had made me wait ten extra minutes. Yes, I recognized my own childishness, but I didn’t care, I had a bad day. Without thinking, I cut my mother off and soon found myself in the middle of ranting at her. Unfortunately, I decided not to stop because I figured I might as well finish. The rest of the car ride was silent, and although I felt apologetic, I didn’t say anything. Looking at my mother, I could tell she was irritated by the way her lips were pursed, and she only looked straight ahead.

Once the car engine turned off, I grabbed my backpack and marched straight up to my room. I didn’t feel like talking to anyone and if I did, I knew how I would affect them. So after about an hour of listening to music and calming down, I emerged from my room. Feeling much happier and refreshed I began talking to my mother and asking about her day, but this time, my mother was the angry one. She didn’t say much, and when she did, her responses were short and not very satisfying. I couldn’t blame her for the way she acted, after all, I caused her to feel the way she did.

Situations like this always remind me that what goes around comes around. If I treat people kindly, others will follow my lead and act the same way towards me. Hopefully, they will also act kindly towards others. However, If I act unkindly, my victim will treat me unkindly as well. He or she could even go on to treat other people unkindly because of me. It is a ripple affect. Our actions affect those around us and ultimately the world.

This, I believe.