Hard Work Does Pay Off

Angelo - Los Angeles, California
Themes: work

What do I believe? I believe in hard work. I believe that hard work really does pay off in the end. I know that there are people out there who would not agree with me and I can understand why. I know that there are people out there who have worked hard their whole lives, sacrificed everything and in the end it never paid off, but that has never stopped me from believing in hard work.

Ever since I was a kid I wouldn’t just try. I would do my best to get the highest score on a test, essay, homework, you name it. My parents have motivated me ever since I was a child to do my best every single time and almost every single thing. They wanted me to use my full potential so that I can see what I am truly capable of. This meant no using shortcuts, no using calculators to do the math homework faster, no cutting corners, no skimming a book for a book report, and especially, no cheating. There have been moments when I was beaten by someone who cheated and he/she was the one reaped the benefits, but that has never stopped me in believing in hard work. Moments like that, where people who cheat and beat those who truly work hard, just makes me want to work harder.

My dream is to be a doctor, specifically a neurologist, which a patient can trust. But to be able to be the doctor which a patient can trust I would have to work hard. People, logically, wouldn’t trust a doctor who cheated on an anatomy exam during med school or a doctor who, instead of taking his/her time with the opening cut of brain surgery just, hacked at it like a steak. One can’t cut a corner in surgery, one can’t cheat diagnosing a patient, and there is not shortcut to curing someone. I believe that by making a habit of working hard now I will become a doctor people can feel safe with and have no doubt putting their trust in. Why? Because I would be the doctor that stayed up all night during school to learn every piece of information told by the teacher and not the one that looked for shortcuts or ways to cheat.

By being a hard worker I know that I will become the doctor that I always wanted to be because I wouldn’t used a shortcut or cheat. I would and will take the long road, no matter how much time and effort I have to put in, no matter what I have to sacrifice. I know my hard work will ultimately pay off and that the people who cheat, cut corners, and use shortcuts will be caught in the end.