Danielle - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: equality

“Have you ever believed in equality?’’

Why do I believe in equality? I believe in equality because I think that everyone should be treated the same and no different. I believe that nobody’s perfect. Everyone is there own individual but still the same as everyone else. Why I say this is because I’ve seen people get treated at an unfair rate from others, put down, disrespected, all because these people weren’t like them, or because they dressed different, looked different, acted different, etc I don’t think that’s right how people get treated unfair.

I think, in my own words, the reason why I think people do these kinds of things is because they want to put others down because they feel bad about themselves. Another reason maybe because they are going through some things, and they don’t know how to handle it so they take it out on others to get the attention. Like, take me, for example; I’ve been disrespected and treated at an unfair rate plenty of times. Like, when I’m at home I get disrespected by my own dad. I know what you’re thinking: crazy, right? But it’s true. When I don’t get something for him, or if I don’t hear him or just little things he calls me all types of names.

Sometimes he’ll do it just for the fun of it. When my dad calls me those different types of names like that it really hurts me because first off nobody should ever be treated by there dad that way no matter what. Second, it’s bad enough I have to deal with the kids in school. No one should be treated like that especially from someone who is supposed to love you and care for you treating you terrible. Another story I have about people getting treated different and disrespected is about this boy I know named ( ). He is very smart, nice and kindhearted too.( ) had this feeling about being gay for along time but he never told anyone until this year.

Well, after he told people about his gay pride people started to treat him different. They start calling him names like, faggot, taste the rainbow all sorts of ignorant names. Many people even stopped hanging around him because of his gay pride. They thought it would make him feel some type of way but for ( ) being a strong person he just sucks it up ,holds his head up high and struts his gay pride. I think that’s good what ( ) does because that goes to show how clever he is and how dumb they look and are. Nobody should be treated like that whether they’re gay straight, ugly, a nerd, smart, dumb whatever. If that’s what they want to do and be, so be it, let them do what they want. They aren’t hurting anyone.

All of these different situations that I’ve been in or seen I think that everyone out there that has ever been treated at an unfair rate, I think that it’s time to stand up for yourself. They need to tell how they feel, say what’s right, or what’s wrong. Maybe you can help other people out there who don’t stand up for themselves and who are very scared to say how they feel when they are in unequal situations. Or for people who don’t have enough high standards about themselves, or don’t believe in equality like I do.