I Believe There Are No Heros

Brittany - wallingford, Connecticut

I believe there are no such things as heroes. To me, a hero would be someone who stands up for what they believe in no matter how hard or what the consequences are for their actions. I think that anyone can be a hero if they stand out from the crowd and do something great instead of just sitting back and relaxing, hoping someone can do it for you. Heroes are courageous and brave and helpful. They care about other people to a degree that is almost unimaginable. That is why I don’t think there are any heroes. Everyone believes that a hero is someone who has done something heroic like saving a person’s life but that hardly ever happens. This is what is depicted in cartoons and movies like superman or batman, but those aren’t real. Heroes do things not because it will get them noticed or popular. They do it because they are kind and really want to help out. Another reason that no- one is a hero is that they must have done something bad at least once in their life because face it, nobody is perfect. Maybe they only did what they did because they were bribed to do so with money or publicity. Some consider firefighters or police officers to be heroes but really they are not. They get paid to risk their lives and save people from danger. If they weren’t given money for it, they probably wouldn’t do it. People may have done some good deeds in their lifetime but that doesn’t automatically make them hero material. Some past historical figures such as Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson were, and still are, perceived as heroes but the people that consider them heroes must not have known that much about them.

Thomas Jefferson is certainly not a hero. He said the following quote- “What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” This proves it. A hero would care more about other people’s lives. He displayed that if a small amount of lives are lost, it is ok. Heroes are people who want to save lives and help others and they certainly don’t want other people to be killed.

Abraham Lincoln on the other hand was one who let people do things for him rather than doing them himself. During the election of 1860 when the civil war was going on, Lincoln didn’t campaign or give speeches. He let the republican organizations handle it. He helped to start the civil war and lead raids and burned down many southern towns. He was certainly not a hero to any of the southerners.

No heroes existed in the past. I think who you believe is a hero depends on what you think a hero is. Some think their family or friends are heroes but that is if you use the term very loosely. No, their parents and pals probably didn’t do anything like save people from a burning building, but because they are loving and kind they can be heroes. A lot of times people ask who your hero is and you would naturally respond that it is your family. Your family and friends are the closest things you have to a hero. Nobody from the past would be a hero to you because you didn’t know them and you probably don’t care about what they did or how great of a leader they were. That is why I think there are no heroes.