This I Believe: Foundations and Balance Through Infinite Connection.

Siara - Colorado Springs, Colorado
Themes: Christianity

I believe in a foundation of balance. I believe in three main components that build my foundation of balance: Jesus Christ, failure, and interdependence. For me, these things are connected linearly, circularly, and infinitely; much like a spider web circling out and out and out.

The most important thing is the existence of Jesus Christ; his gift to me: love. The feeling is the same as if I was a child coming from an abusive home, representing the world, into a loving home. Anyone who has experienced this knows that constant love and acceptance is the most freeing, beautiful thing. This love creates a peace inside that soaks through to the outside. Everything about Jesus’ love for me points to ultimate reality.

There’s nothing that represents reality more than failure. Failures are a sobering blow to the gut, but they have taught me, resolve, potential, and infinite growth. I’ve loved art since childhood. Once I failed an audition into an art program that was important to me. This failure made me stop and think, “I’ll show them. They can’t take this love from me.” After that my artistry exploded, becoming better and more passionate than it ever was before. Thank you, failure. Ironically, failure is simultaneously humbling.

Humility; accurate self perspective is essential to realize the need for interdependence. I can’t do this thing called life, alone. No one can do life alone. At this time and place, everything is shouting out, “Be successful! Be ambitious! Be super! Be self-reliant!” It’s impossible. I can’t tackle the world single-handedly. Humans just aren’t made to be self-sustaining beings. We shouldn’t depend on other completely nor should we cut off from all help. Everyone brings what they have to offer to the world table, exchanging it for what they need from others, but can’t produce themselves. Some bring much, and some bring little, but every unique piece is equally important.

Christ, failure, and interdependence are linked by the things they encourage. Failure teaches growth, Jesus teaches growth, Jesus teaches love, and interdependence facilitates love. Interdependence creates networking, love is impossible without networking. Interdependence is impossible without the humility that failure and Jesus teach. Jesus makes the impossible possible; things that failure gives us the resolution to do, and the things we cannot do in our own power, but only through interdependence. All three encourage peace that sustains all things. All three point to ultimate reality; that‘s why I believe in them. Jesus Christ, failure, and interdependence structure my foundation of balance. What is your foundation?