My Hero

Courtnie - USA

My Hero

“Each man is a hero and an oracle to somebody, and to that person whatever he says has an enhanced value” (Bigot de Cornuel). While growing up heroes are the people that children look up to and appreciate. As adults heroes are the people that inspire them to do well in life and help you to learn from past mistakes. They are always so dedicated and willing to do anything for ones in need and never expect anything in return. Not just the type of heroes you hear about in animations or in movies, just the ordinary ones. Like your parents, friends, or animals. Without them, life would feel as though it never ended and continuously repeated itself.

Throughout my life, my hero has always been my mom. She always had a way of teaching me humility and wisdom through experiences both good and bad, in which helped me gain a true sense of appreciation for what many consider to be the toughest job in the world, being young! She is always the one that put s me first before anything else, whether I had the flu, needed to be rushed to practice, school, or an appointment, she found a way, even if she was in a different state.

On the morning of 9/11, I thought I had almost lost the one person I looked up to and valued. As I was getting ready for school, I had turned on the News with my dad and sisters and saw the horrible event that had occurred, the terrorist attacks. Sadly, we knew that our mom flew for American Airlines and that she was for sure flying at the exact time the planes hit. Having the feeling of loss of the only person I looked up to for comfort and appreciation, was mind boggling. All I could do was sit in shock, watching the replays of planes crashing. My dad would repeat that everything was fine and all I could do was hope that he was right. That whole morning we did everything we could to contact her, but never got through. As we arrived at school, my heart continuously beat at the speed of light. Kids around me talked about planes and buildings, and I could hardly take it. My teacher at the time was my great aunt and she did everything she could to get the class to not talk about the horrible incident. When the end of class came the class phone rang and my aunt called me up. When I picked up the phone I heard my mom’s voice and I had this great sense of relief, and began to cry. Everything was fine, but that she would be stuck in New York for almost a week.

If I would have lost my hero, I don’t know if I would have been able to get through school, do well in sports, or help my sisters out. Life would be rough without her and I wouldn’t know how to live it. In which, is why I believe that having someone to look up to and be inspired by is something you should always cherish throughout your life.